It’s summer, which means it’s time to fire up your barbecue and get grilling! Grilling is quick, doesn’t leave many dishes, makes cooking for a crowd easy, and produces phenomenal food. Even better, grilling is one of the leanest ways to cook meat. I am a grill phenatic and even grill in the winter as the pic below shows. I not only love the flavor but it’s a great lean and mean way to cook!
There’s no need to fall off your diet during the summer months. Instead, grab some lean protein and veggies, and throw them on a sizzling barbecue. Here are one of my favorite grill recipes that will bring mouthfuls of flavor and zest to your clean-eating spring and summer. Enjoy!
GRILLED STEAK, ONION, AND MUSHROOM ARUGULA SALAD
Need a low-carb, high-protein meal? Say no more! With this steak salad, you’ll get all the protein you want without all the carbs. The arugula will also provide a big hit of vitamins A, K, and Folate as well as some Calcium and Potassium. The best part, however, is the yummy Asian-inspired flavor!
If I want carbs in this meal, I grill some red potatoes or yams to go with it. Remember, don’t skip carbs all the time. Your body needs them for energy, just stick with complex carbs…
- 2 cups arugula
- 4 oz flank steak
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup shitake mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp each: garlic powder, onion powder, ginger, chili powder, paprika, and cayenne
- 1 tsp brown sugar/Splenda blend
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Balsamic vinegar to drizzle over salad
- In a large Ziploc bag, combine garlic powder, onion powder, ginger, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Shake thoroughly to mix well.
- Add flank steak to bag and make sure rub thoroughly covers steak. Allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Place sliced onions and mushrooms in bowl and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Let marinade.
- Heat up grill.
- Grill steak to desired temperature. Place veggies on grill for about 5-10 minutes, or until caramelized.
- Top arugula with veggies, sliced steak, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Don’t forget to cut flank, cross grain for tender slices.